(Advisory Commission Information)
Education Code Section 17388 requires that prior to the sale, lease, or rental in excess of thirty (30) days of any excess real property, a governing board of a school district must appoint an Advisory Commission to advise the governing board in the development of district-wide policies and procedures governing the use or disosition of school buildings or space in school buildings which is not needed for school purposes.
Formation of Advisory Commission
Education Code Section 17389 stats that an Advisory Commission must consist of not less than seven (7) and not more than eleven (11) members, and must be represented by each of the following:
- The ethnic, age group, and socioeconomic composition of the District.
- The business community, such as store owners, managers, or supervisors.
- Landowners or renters, with preference to be given to representatives of neighborhood associations.
- Parents of students.
- Persons with expertise inenvironmental impact, legal contracts, building codes, and land use planning, including, but not limited to, knowledge of the zoning and other land use restrictions of the cities or cities and counties in which the surplus space and real property is located.
Duties of Advisory Committee
Pursuant to Education Code Section 17390, an Advisory Committee must do all of the following:
- Review the projected school enrollment and other data as provided by the District to determine the amount of surplus space and real property.
- Establish a priority list of use of surplus space and real property that will be acceptable to the community.
- Cause to have circulated throughout the attendance area a priority list of surplus space and real property and provide for hearings for community input to the committee on acceptable uses of space and real property, including the sale or lease of surplus real property for child care development purposes pursuant to Education Code Section 17458.
- Make a final determination of limits of tolerance of use of space and real property.
- Forward to the district's governing board a report recommending uses of surplus space and real property.